Installing Office 365 on a Windows 10 computer
All LSE students and staff are eligible for free copies of Microsoft Office software on 5 desktop (PCs or Macs) and 5 mobile devices.
Using your LSE email address and password, you can log into Office 365 and download Office software onto your personal devices. The Office suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams.
To get your free copies, please visit: https://portal.office.com/home
You'll be eligible to use this automatically updated, subscription-based software for the duration of the time you are at LSE.
When you log on to Office 365 you will see all the Apps.
You will be able to work on them straight away.
To install Office locally onto your computer:
- Click on Install Office
- The Office installer package will be downloaded. Click run to start the installation.
- When the installer package starts to run, it will download the Office apps to install, so you will need to stay connected to the internet.
- When finished, you will see a message that you are set to use Office 365
Activate Office 365 on Windows 10
- When you open your first Office 365 app you will be required to activate the licence. You will need to stay online to activate Office and to authenticate your sign in.
- Click on an app, such as Word. Click Get started.
- You will see a welcome screen. Click continue.
- If you see your LSE email address on the activate office screen, click Next
- Enter your LSE password and click Sign in.
- If you have multi-factor authentication (MFA) enabled on your LSE account you will be presented with an extra screen. Click Next to continue. If you do not have MFA set up please skip to step 8
- You will be prompted for your second authentication option. Verify your account as normal.
- On Windows 10 devices you will be prompted for your device to remember your details.
Please UNTICK next to "Allow my organisation to manage my device"
Click on 'This app only'.
- Once completed, click Done.