Setting up LSE VPN on Windows
This page will provide instructions to setting up a VPN connection on Windows
What is VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows your computer or mobile device to behave as if it is connected directly to the LSE network enabling SECURE remote access to your networked drives and remote servers.
Before you begin
- You will need to be a member of LSE with an LSE email account.
- You will need to have Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) enabled for your LSE account.
Step 1: Apply to the Data and Technology Services (DTS) to gain VPN access
- You will need to fill in the LSE Data and Technology Services (DTS) form to access LSE (and RLAB) resources via VPN.
- The form is available at https://link.lse.ac.uk/VPNRequest
- You need to confirm ...
- you need VPN to access resources
- your device has a supported operating system and is up to date with the latest security patches
- you have Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) enabled on your account
- what resources you require the VPN for. (Select RLAB resources.)
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive a confirmation email. Please wait up to 24 hours for LSE VPN access to be granted and before proceeding to install the latest version of Pulse Secure to access the VPN.
Step 2: How to install/update your VPN client connection
If you do not have Ivanti Secure Access or Pulse Secure installed, you will need to install the software first, see Step 3.
If Pulse Secure is already installed, please follow the instructions in Steps 4-6 to upgrade to the Ivanti client.
If Ivanti Secure Access is already installed and you need to setup the new connection to the LSE VPN, please go to Steps 5 and 6 and be aware that the naming on all the graphics will show Ivanti instead of Pulse Secure, but the process is identical.
Step 3: Installing VPN software
- Click on the link below to download the Pulse Secure client and then run the pulsesecure.x64.msi file to install the software on your computer.
Pulse Secure 64-bit client
- You may be prompted that the installer cannot be downloaded securely.
- Then you need to click on the three dots at the end and select Keep.
- You may then get a second warning that the file can't be downloaded securely, please click on Keep anyway.
- Or you may get a warning from your computer that the file may be unsafe. Click on Remove protection and open.
- Then run the installer from your downloads folder.
- Click on Next.
- Click on Install.
- Click on Finish.
- Once installed, go to Steps 5 and 6 to add the new connection settings.
Step 4: How to remove the old RLAB VPN settings
- Open the Pulse Secure client. You will find the client icon in the Start Menu (see below).
- Alternatively, you can find it in the Notification area at the bottom right-hand corner of your computer. Right click on the icon and select Open Pulse Secure.
- To remove any old connections in the windows that appears right click on any existing connections and select Delete.
- You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. Click on OK.
- To remove any other settings, go to the File menu, select Connections then click on Forget Saved Settings.
- Close Pulse Secure
Step 5: Set up the new connection
- Open the Pulse Secure client as in Step 4.
- To add a new VPN connection, click the "+" button on the connections bar at the top of the client.
- In the window that opens enter the following information:
Type: Leave as Policy Secure (UAC) or Connect Secure (VPN)
Name: LSE MFA VPN
Server URL: https://vpn.lse.ac.uk/pulse
Click on the Add button to save this connection.
Click Connect to connect to the LSE VPN.
- You will then either be prompted to sign in to your LSE account and be prompted for MFA approval, or if your device is already set-up with your LSE account for Office 365 then you will just be prompted for the account to connect with.
- You may be asked to Stay Signed in, if you do not want to have to use the authenticator each time you connect to the VPN then you should click on Yes when asked.
- You will then be connected.
Step 6: Upgrading
- Once you have connected to the VPN you may be prompted to upgrade to a newer version, this will depend on the version you are currently running.
- The upgrade will result in installing Ivanti Secure.