A guide on using Zoom and managing online seminars
The LSE has a Zoom licence for all School staff and students. We have a quick guide on how to install and start Zoom for the first time if you are LSE staff or an LSE student.
Non LSE members can sign up for a free Zoom account and download the client from the Zoom website.
Before you start we also recommend you read the LSE Eden Centre wiki guide on Zoom which provides best practice guidance on using zoom for teaching and seminars.
We advise that for any Zoom meeting you organise, you set a password.
Below are some links to help you start and make the best use of Zoom:
- Zoom Video Tutorials
Step by step videos from joining a meeting, scheduling a meeting using Outlook or Google, to sharing screens and recording meetings.
- How to host a video meeting
How to set up a Zoom Meeting or Seminar
- Before starting please see the LSE Eden Centre's Getting Started with Zoom Checklist including guidance on privacy and security (preventing 'zoom bombing').
- How to schedule a Zoom meeting
- Controlling a meeting as a host and co-host
- Enabling the Waiting Room
Manage how attendees are admitted into a Zoom meeting
- How to delegate a user (with an LSE account) to schedule Zoom meetings on your behalf.
- How to set up Registration for Meetings on Zoom
- How to live stream a Zoom Meeting to a Facebook Page
A youtube guide from the LSE Social Media team.
- Managing contacts
Sample Seminar Etiquette to send out to users
Below is an example of what to instruct/send out to attendees, to help the seminar run smoothly.
- Seminar opens for participants at [DATE/TIME]
- Please mute your microphone, and disable your video for better connectivity. Only unmute your microphone/video to ask a question and mute it back after the exchange is completed.
- Wear headsets wherever possible to avoid feedback and interference.
- The format will be  minutes of presentation, with questions as we go, as in a normal seminar.
- To ask a question you can either use the "raise hand" icon / directly unmuting and asking / use the Chat function.
- In case you have access issues, please contact the [SEMINAR ORGANISER (XXXXXX@lse.ac.uk)].