The objectives of the Lab are:
- To develop and to implement frontier methods of economic and social investigation. In particular, to engage in rigorous analysis of both national and international micro and macro data sets.
- To put major intellectual and policy issues at the forefront of research.
- To create an environment for genuine multi-disciplinary dialogue. In the Lab, disciplines interact and challenge each other through joint projects, seminars and conferences and avoid easy but empty answers to complex problems.
- To interact with and influence the non-academic world by exploiting its many contacts with business, the professions, government and the City.
- To play a central role in training new generations of social science researchers.