LSE LSE Research Laboratory IT Support London School of Economics
LSE Research Laboratory (RLAB)

Saving your Work and Backing Up

Good Practice

  • Save a copy of your important files to the J:drive (CEP/SERC) or Z:drive (STICERD) - your RLAB DOMAIN networked user space.

  • If you are saving files locally onto your RLAB DOMAIN PC, save them to the My Documents folder.

  • Organise your files into folders so you can find them easily and back them up easily.

  • If you work in the main School you can save files to your H: space but you only have a quota of between 100MB - 500MB.

  • Back up your files onto some form of 'removable' media i.e. CD, DVD or USB Memory Stick.
If you share a computer or use a public machine ALWAYS
  • Save your files to the J: or Z: drive

  • Back up your important files to CD or DVD or USB Memory Stick


Associated Guides:

Following these guidelines will minimise the risk of losing valuable files.

Saving your work on your networked user-space

We provide a personal networked user-space for all members of staff who have an RLAB DOMAIN account.
  • For STICERD users this is your Z: drive.

  • For CEP and SERC users this is your J: drive.

Please use your RLAB DOMAIN networked user-space (J:drive or Z:drive) to save your important files as this drive is backed up onto tape each night.

Another advantage to saving your files on J: or Z: is that you can also connect to this networked drive remotely from home.

Please read the guide "Connect ('Map a drive') to your J: or Z: drive " for more information about this service and how to connect to it remotely.

New users are allocated a quota of 1 Gigabyte of space on the J: and Z: drives, but if you find this is not large enough to hold your files, please contact the IT Team.

Back to the top

Saving your Work on your Computer

If you have your own dedicated PC, which is not shared with anyone else, you may save your files locally on your PC BUT NOTE that these documents WILL NOT be backed up automatically.

If you are saving files locally on your machine please save them in My Documents:

When you use the Open and Save As tools on Word or Excel the My Documents folder should be displayed as the working or 'active' folder by default.

Do not store all your files in one big directory. Create folders so you can find your work easily after you have saved it. It will make it simpler to back up and restore files too.

Back to the top

How to Back Up Your Work

  1. Copy your important files onto your J: drive (for CEP) or your Z: drive (for STICERD)

    Please read the guide "Connect ('Map a drive') to your J: or Z: drive " for more information about this service and how to connect to it remotely from home.

  2. You MUST also back up your work onto "removable" media such as CD or DVD or a USB memory stick. This ensures you always have a copy of your files should something go wrong with your computer, or the network.
Please read the following, associated guides: CDs and DVDs are available from the IT Team in Room 3.04.

Back to the top

How to Save Files Working Over In The Main School

If you need to work over in the School or the LSE Library you can copy your work onto your H: space (your personal networked user space on a school server).

You have very limited space on the H: space.
  • Undergraduates 100 Mbytes
  • Post-Graduates (Masters - PGT) 100 Mbytes
  • Post-Graduates (Research - PGR) 200 Mbytes
  • Staff 500 Mbytes
If you exceed your quota you will be locked out of the space!

Back to the top